The Oxford English Dictionary defines a coffee-house as "a house of entertainment where coffee and other refreshments are supplied. (Much frequented in 17th and 18th c. for the purpose of political and literary conversation, circulation of news, etc.)."
While we will neither have neither coffee nor houses* to offer to you, we do have the next best thing!
On January 6th, 2012, during X-Block, the library is going to make like the 17th or 18th century and host our first ever Not-So-Quiet-Room Coffee-house!
We seek student and faculty poets, songwriters, short story authors, actors, acoustic musicians, speech writers, comedians, dramatists, essayists, journalists, etc., and people willing to read publicly on behalf of those who aren't. We're lookin' for your somewhat loosely defined literary and related musical talents!
- It should be under three (3) minutes (with some exceptions).
- You must sign up with a librarian and provide a copy of your work by 5pm on Friday, 12/9.
- You can submit something to be read anonymously!
- You can also volunteer to be a reader for someone!
- It is okay if you've submitted something to somewhere else; we'd love to hear or see it in person!
- Questions? Come and ask a librarian.