October 16, 2014

Judge a Book by Its Cover?

Not surprisingly, I'm often in the company of books, and I frequently find myself thinking about their covers.  For better or worse, a book's cover typically influences my first impression of a book, inviting me to pick it up and find out more or to move on.

I liked this NPR interview with Peter Mendelsund, a book jacket designer and author whose latest work, Cover, showcases the hundreds of book covers that he's designed.  Mendelsund makes the point that a book cover serves two purposes: to sell the book and to portray what it's about.  His interview inspired me to think of my own favorite book covers and those covers which I've found most memorable.  The covers for Wonder by R.J. Palacio, David Sedaris' When You Are Engulged in Flames, and J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye immediately came to mind.  ShortList also takes a crack at naming the 50 Coolest Book Covers.  Drop by the library and tell us about your favorite book covers!


- Ms. Duncan