December 1, 2014

NaNoWriMo: That's a Wrap

National Novel Writing Month is officially over!  We congratulate BB&N's inspiring and dedicated NaNo-ers on a truly fantastic effort.  Sharing her final thoughts on the NaNoWriMo experience is veteran NaNo-er, Amy, with a guest blog entry:

The month of November is already over? But I don't like December and all the other non-insane months of the year...

Life happens. I didn't write for two weeks in the middle of the month because schoolwork steamrollered over me. But a combination of competitiveness, pride, desperation, and chocolate made me drag myself over the finish line.

Remember that saying, "slow and steady wins the race"? I don't know about you guys, but fast and haphazard seems to have scraped me a NaNo win this year. The last few days of the month, I planted myself at my desk and typed up a storm in a sugar-fueled daze. I probably can't even tell you what I wrote about. I don't recommend this approach, mainly because it involved refusing to go to Thanksgiving parties, do my chores, or move anything other than my fingers.

Still, I think it was worth it. When I clicked the "Validate my word count" button and the NaNoWriMo website declared me a "Winner!", I felt a heady rush of satisfaction. I looked back on what I wrote earlier in the month (not the stuff I just wrote, I'm saving that for later laughs), and I thought, "oh man, that scene was so random but so fun to write" and "I don't know what I was thinking but that metaphor was hilarious" and "wow my characters are sassy" and sometimes just "???".

I don't really know where this blog post is going. However, whether you wrote 500 words or 50,000 or anything in between, I hope you had a great time. I hope you found crazy ideas inside yourself that you didn't know you had. I hope you put lots of badly worded kind-of-not-really sentences down, because hey, that means the well-worded brilliance is that much closer, right? (Right?)

So it's December now, a month where I have to pretend to be semi-functional and not chained to a keyboard. I don't know if I can do it, but wish me luck.